Easy Natural Homemade Toothpaste Recipe for Cats ©

Cat permanent teeth diagramSince posting our recipe for a natural toothpaste for dogs, we’ve been asked many times if it’s safe for cats.  Cats are highly sensitive to essential oils, so we don’t recommend that our dog toothpaste recipe be used on felines.  However, we do have an easy alternative!

Edible Calcium Montmorillonite Clay is an effective, soothing oral cleanser with a neutral taste. It is a proven natural remedy for the treatment and prevention of gum disease (such as gingivitis), abscesses and receding gums through it’s natural anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s very gently abrasive to assist in plaque removal, while lowering acidity in the mouth to prevent cavities. It also hardens tooth enamel and improves bad breath.

If your cat swallows some they’ll enjoy the benefits of ingesting Calcium Montmorillonite Clay, which includes a complete mineral supplement and toxin elimination.

Natural Remedy for Cat Gingivitis

Feline odontoclastic resorptive lesion of the lower third premolar of a cat. The caudal aspect of the tooth is affected, with gingival tissue partially filling the defect. Photo by Joel Mills.

Using Calcium Montmorillonite Clay as a Cat Toothpaste

It’s as easy as sprinkling a little clay on a damp infant toothbrush or a piece of damp, sterile gauze wrapped around your finger.  Gently brush the teeth and lightly move the brush/gauze over the gums.  If you use a toothbrush, rinse it well after using as the clay will dry hard.  Since so little is required, it’s much more economical than manufactured toothpaste and you avoid all of the extra ingredients.

If you and your cat are new to tooth brushing, be patient.  You don’t want it to be a stressful, cat-scratching event every time so work hard to make it a pleasant experience.  Initially, you should help her become accustomed to having you brush her teeth by letting her feel the brush or your finger in her mouth briefly, allowing her dictate how long it remains there.  If she’s totally against it, try rubbing the gauze or toothbrush over unseasoned cooked fish or other favorite food until she’s used to the procedure.  Of course, she’ll deserve lots of praise and a healthy treat when you’re done!

Purchasing Calcium Montmorillonite Clay

It is imperative that you purchase a high quality, pure, edible grade clay supplement as is offered here.

Blog Comment - brushing your cat's teethDo you brush your cat’s teeth?  How do you do it?

© All Natural Pet Care Blog – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content.

————————–
DISCLAIMER
————————–

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – SPAM, and generic/pasted comments meant to disguise it, will not be published. Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. If you are reading this on our home page, please click the title of the post to add a comment.

16 Responses to “Easy Natural Homemade Toothpaste Recipe for Cats ©”

1. Pawsy says:

I expected to get my eyes clawed out but my Pawsy is OK with brushing with clay as long as I use a tiny bit. It’s one of the few things safe for kitties for wounds to.

2. Tanya says:

Bear’s teeth and gums look a lot better than they did when I adopted her and I love that the “toothpaste” is also a supplement. She doesn’t mind it at all, I think she enjoys the attention.

3. Shelly says:

My cat actually licks the clay off the toothbrush, he loves it. I don’t know why but he’s so busy licking I have a hard time brushing LOL.

4. Gary Parkins says:

This toothpaste does the trick and my cat didn’t object to the taste at all. She still doesn’t care for the whole process but it only takes a minute. Thanks for sharing your innovative natural solutions.

5. Howard says:

I tried clay on my two cats and as long as I don’t use too much they tolerate it better than flavored paste. Thanks for the idea & for shipping the clay so fast.

6. Abeline says:

It took about a year for my cat to get used to having his teeth brushed but now it’s no big deal. I wasn’t using toothpaste but I’ve oredered the clay to make it more effective. I hope she won’t notice since it doesn’t have much taste. Wish me luck!

7. Jessica says:

I tried baking soda a few times but I can’t blame my kitty for fighting me on that stuff. I think mild taste of clay might go over better…..I hope so!

• V says:

Do not use baking soda to clean your cats teeth and gums. Baking soda is very strong.It whitens the teeth..but it also burns. Google it.
      happy to hear that you`ve ordered the clay!

8. Jennifer says:

Thanks for the idea!

9. Trisha says:

We mix clay in with our cat and dog’s toothpaste. It was recommended by our holistic veterinarian who is brilliant I must say. She has more tricks up her sleeve than Merlin!

10. Bethany says:

I’m not looking forward to it but I’ll do it! Sometimes animals don’t know what’s best for them and if they’re not eating wild food they need to have their teeth looked after. My vet told me my cat’s gums are inflamed so she’ll do it whether she likes it or not!

11. Catty_Catherine_Canada says:

Now this makes sense; simple, pure products providing simple, pure solutions. Thank you!

12. Tina says:

I’m hoping our new kitten can be trained to have her teeth brushed since she’s so young. I ordered the montmorillonite clay because I also like what it gives to growing bones.

13. Clayton says:

I like this idea but I feed my cat raw meat with bones so I don’t have to brush his teeth.

14. Laura WA says:

So easy! Thanks!

15. Bren says:

This bag of clay sure has a ton of uses, I’m going to have to order more soon.