Dog Treat Recipe – Homemade Joint & Arthritis Supplements ©

Arthritis is a major concern for aging and large breed dogs and prevention can go a long way.  Pet parents often purchase joint supplements, but they can be expensive and it’s difficult to determine the quality of the ingredients.  Manufactured supplements are also highly processed and are frequently exposed to high temperatures.

The good news is you can whip up your own joint and arthritis supplements for dogs (or horses) using bulk ingredients that will last for a very long time, especially if they’re stored in airtight containers.  Click the links for more information on each ingredient.

The great thing about using natural, whole food to provide joint support is your dog will receive benefits in addition to the target condition.

Natural Remedies for Arthritis in large dogs

Joint problems are more common in large dog breeds

For example:

• Pumpkin contains beta-cryptoxanthin, which UK researchers found to be a powerful dietary preventative of inflammatory arthritis, plus it boosts collagen production and supports the canine digestive and immune system.
  • You can purchase glucosamine supplements but if you feed freeze-dried krill, your dog will enjoy a long list of inadvertent benefits that krill offers, such as immune system, cardiovascular, and skin/coat support.  Freeze-dried krill offers many more benefits than expensive krill oil supplements too.
  • Calcium Montmorillonite Clay was tested for NASA for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in astronauts and animals with astounding success. It also offers unsurpassed toxin removal (such as radiation), protection from bacteria and aflatoxin, a complete mineral profile, and antiparasite properties.
  • Results of a study published by Scripps Institution of Oceanography  in 2012 revealed that seaweed was generating natural honaucins, which had potent anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties. It also offers 93 bio-available nutrients (vitamins, minerals, trace elements, etc.), along with anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite properties.

For more information about dog arthritis and ingredient ideas, check out our article, Pet Arthritis: Holistic Prevention and Natural Treatment.

Seafood Joint Supplement Recipe
© Formulated by AllNaturalPetCare.com

1 1/2 c whole wheat flour or flour substitute
3/4 c rolled oats
1 c canned, mashed or pureed 100% pure (unseasoned) pumpkin
3/4 c plain active yogurt
1 can finely chopped or pureed unseasoned sardines packed in water (drained)
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSP flaked seaweed or 3 TBSP finely chopped fresh seaweed.
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp calcium montmorillonite clay
2 TBSP freeze-dried krill
Dash of turmeric
Dash of sea salt
1/4 c finely chopped mustard or turnip greens

Optional:  4 Perna canaliculus (Green-lipped Mussel) capsules (open capsules and pour powder into mixture).

Natural Home Remedies for Pets - Calcium Montmorillonite ClayPreheat oven: 375F
Mix rolled oats & flour together.
Add remaining ingredients & blend.
Knead dough & roll to about 1/4 inch thick (add flour if dough is too sticky). Cut into 1-1.5″ pieces and place on greased cookie sheet.
Bake until golden brown (about 25 minutes).
Feed one treat per day.  Freezes well!

———————————————————-

© All Natural Pet Care BlogContent on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.

DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for some links to products on this website.

DISCLAIMER: Statements on this website may not have been evaluated by the FDA, Health Canada nor any other government regulator. The information and products provided by AllNaturalPetCare.com are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, nor prevent any disease and are intended for educational purposes only. READ MORE…

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.

24 Responses to “Dog Treat Recipe – Homemade Joint & Arthritis Supplements ©”

1. Susan Hanson says:

The best part about making these is I can adjust the ingredients and size of the treats for my dogs’ size and special needs. Thanks a lot!

2. Katey says:

These aren’t treats…….THEY’RE MIRACLES!!!! my aging GS has honestly been getting around better. It took about a month before I noticed but now he seems better daily. Thank you ever so much!!!!

3. Rici says:

I hope you’ll come up with a whole bunch of supplement recipes for us!!!

4. Angela says:

I feel so GOOD feeding my dog homemade food and treats and of course so does he. Thank you, I’m going to try this recipe today.

5. Ben says:

wow…this is a great recipe!

6. AllenY says:

If only all natural supplements offered true value like these treats…

7. Pria says:

My dog has been happily eating homemade supplements for a couple of weeks and I’m so grateful to have the recipe. If it helps even a bit it’ll be worth it.

8. Evan Grant says:

Good work McKinnon, I’ll try this recipe as soon as possible.

9. Vipul Anupam says:

Brilliant idea, I’m going to try it

10. Kara says:

Super idea & a great recipe. I learn so much here but I do wish the solutions were a bit easier.

11. Belinda says:

They’re a hit! Thank you so much for the recipe. I used everything on the ingredient list plus broccoli, spinach and a drop of coconut oil.

12. Jazzy Rose says:

The recipe mixes up really well and dogs gobble it down. Of course they gobble anything down but that’s besides the point. ;-)

13. Melody - Admin says:

Thanks for taking the time to comment, everyone. I’m excited about the number of pet parents who are willing to take natural health all the way to the kitchen!

Felicity, that’s a great idea, we’ll work on one for kitties. :-)

14. Trina Lovely says:

I don’t need the FDA to tell me this is a great recipe!

15. Benton, Whitehorse, Yukon says:

Trying to get my dog to eat a supplement has been a NIGHTMARE! He doesn’t like them crushed no matter what I mix them into but the treats on store shelves look terrible for him. Thank you soooooo much for giving us frustrated pet people options.

16. I love this! Seriously, what a great idea! At Kol’s Notes we are HUGE fans of whole food nutrition. WE always worry that there’s something lost in translation when we try to duplicate what nature has already perfected. We’ll definitely give this a try.

17. Chivon Atlanta says:

That recipe will be fun to make for my shepherd & boxer, thanks.

18. Belinda says:

Brilliant idea, I’m going to try it with spinach & broccoli as soon as I get my clay order.

19. Margaret says:

Sounds like a great supplement but I’m not ready to give up my bottle yet. I think I’ll start by alternating them with one on one day and one on the other day. The best of both worlds?

20. Nelda says:

Thank you my dear, I have most of the ingredients so I should be able to try the recipe by next week. I’ll let you know if my picky babies eat them.

21. Felicity says:

I’m just going to sit over here and wait for the cat version OK? lol

22. Penny Prosser says:

Those treats sound much better than anything I’ve read on a bottle of supplements….thanks!

23. Cassandra says:

You’ve opened up so many possibilities for pet owners who want to take better care of their pets. My dog is doing so well since I discovered your blog and I want you to know how much I appreciate your generosity. Sometimes the ingredients are hard to get but I’m slowwly amassing herbs, oils and supplements that I can use for my family too. It’s worth the effort and since I don’t need to use much it’s economical too.

24. Katey says:

Oh wow, I can’t wait to try making these and experiment with the options in the article. Thank you for your work!