Summer can be a difficult time for charities, when people are busy traveling and generally having a good time. They volunteer less and they donate less.
The need doesn’t decline, however, and nowhere is that more true than in animal charities. In fact, the need often increases this time of year.
- Traveling people lose pets or decide their pet isn’t worth bothering with when they want to travel.
- Puppies, kittens and other pet babies are being born, or are reaching an age when people give up on finding them homes.
- People who have brought home a cute puppy or kitten decide they’re too much trouble or simply no longer as cute.
- Orphaned (or mistakenly believed to be orphaned) wildlife need care.
- Volunteers and staff are on vacation themselves, leaving shelters shorthanded.
What You Can Do
Include animal charities in your Summer fun!
- Have Christmas in July at work & ask coworkers to bring donations to deposit into a festive box.
- Ask guests to bring a donation to your next barbecue.
- Beach towels looking a little worse for wear? Donate them to a shelter.
- Call your local shelter if your kids have outgrown their kiddie swimming pool. They may appreciate them to cool down shelter pets.
- Designate one of your vacation days as ‘Volunteer Day’.
- Out of work this Summer? You can get experience and a reference for virtually any skill through volunteering!
- If you’ve installed an air conditioner this year, shelters may be able to use fans that are no longer required.
- If you’re having a ‘stay-cation’, it’s a great time to adopt a new friend (after careful thought and consideration). You’ll have time to get to know & train them.
- Create awareness through social media or blogging.
Watch for these items that are often on sale in the Summer:
Disposable bedding for all species, including straw, timothy & rodent/reptile bedding
Healthy food & treats for all species of pets
Kitten milk replacement
Leashes, harnesses & collars
Toys that are easily sterilized
Buckets, pails, mops & brooms
Bleach & Disinfectant wipes
Printer paper, envelopes, stamps & other office supplies
Drop the above items off at your local shelter or wildlife rescue, or add the list to barbecue invitations and Christmas in July memos.
Do you have more ideas for helping animal charities in the Summer? Please share them in the comments below.
© All Natural Pet Care Blog – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
DISCLAIMER: Statements on this website may not have been evaluated by the FDA, Health Canada nor any other government regulator. The information and products provided by AllNaturalPetCare.com are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, nor prevent any disease and are intended for educational purposes only. READ MORE…
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.