Arthritis is a major concern for aging and large breed dogs and prevention can go a long way. Pet parents often purchase joint supplements, but they can be expensive and it’s difficult to determine the quality of the ingredients. Manufactured supplements are also highly processed and are frequently exposed to high temperatures.
The good news is you can whip up your own joint and arthritis supplements for dogs (or horses) using bulk ingredients that will last for a very long time, especially if they’re stored in airtight containers. Click the links for more information on each ingredient.
The great thing about using natural, whole food to provide joint support is your dog will enjoy benefits in addition to treating or preventing the target condition.
- Pumpkin contains beta-cryptoxanthin, which UK researchers found to be a powerful dietary preventative of inflammatory arthritis, plus it boosts collagen production and supports the canine digestive and immune system.
- You can purchase glucosamine supplements but if you feed freeze-dried krill, your dog will enjoy a long list of inadvertent benefits that krill offers, such as immune system, cardiovascular, and skin/coat support. Freeze-dried krill offers many more benefits than expensive krill oil supplements too.
- Calcium Montmorillonite Clay was tested for NASA for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in astronauts and animals with astounding success. It also offers unsurpassed toxin removal (such as radiation), protection from bacteria and aflatoxin, a complete mineral profile, and antiparasite properties.
- Results of a study published by Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 2012 revealed that seaweed was generating natural honaucins, which had potent anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties. It also offers 93 bio-available nutrients (vitamins, minerals, trace elements, etc.), along with anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite properties.
For more information about dog arthritis and ingredient ideas, check out our article, Pet Arthritis: Holistic Prevention and Natural Treatment.
Seafood Joint Supplement Recipe
© Formulated by Melody McKinnon exclusively for AllNaturalPetCare.com
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour substitute
3/4 c rolled oats
1 c canned, mashed or pureed 100% pure (unseasoned) pumpkin
3/4 c plain active yogurt
1 can finely chopped or pureed unseasoned sardines packed in water (drained)
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSP flaked seaweed or 3 TBSP finely chopped fresh seaweed.
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp calcium montmorillonite clay
2 TBSP freeze-dried krill
Dash of turmeric
Dash of raw sea salt
1/4 c finely chopped mustard or turnip greens
4 Perna canaliculus (Green-lipped Mussel) capsules (open capsules and pour powder into mixture) or 1/4 tsp of Green Lipped Mussel Powder.
- Preheat oven: 375F
- Mix rolled oats & flour together.
- Add remaining ingredients & blend.
- Knead dough & roll to about 1/4 inch thick (add flour if dough is too sticky). Cut into 1-1.5″ pieces and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown (about 25 minutes).
- Feed one treat per day.
If you prefer to purchase quality treats with Green-lipped Mussel in them, the following are often recommended by Veterinarians:
Glyco Flex 3 Hip and Joint Support for Dogs Bite Sized Chews
Glyco Flex 2 Hip and Joint Supplement for Cats
© All Natural Pet Care Blog – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
DISCLAIMER: Statements on this website may not have been evaluated by the FDA, Health Canada nor any other government regulator. The information and products provided by AllNaturalPetCare.com are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, nor prevent any disease and are intended for educational purposes only. READ MORE…
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.