Holistic Dog Toothpaste Recipe For Healthy Teeth and Gums ©

The best homemade, natural dog toothpaste provides:

Dog Natural Toothpaste Recipe

Dogs can naturally clean their teeth by chewing bones or other chew-safe items.

• Gentle abrasion to clean teeth
  • Natural plaque prevention
  • Naturally anti-microbial cleansing
  • Minerals to support dental health nutritionally
  • Acidity reduction to prevent tooth decay
  • Gum tightening and increased blood circulation

All of the above factors combine for optimum oral health as a whole, while also cleansing and preventing  (or treating) gum disease (such as pyorrhea and gingivitis).

This creamy, homemade dog toothpaste recipe has a vegetable glycerin base to dilute essential oils and make the ingredients more palatable to your dog. We included powdered ingredients to add more soft abrasion, along with a few essential oils for instant anti-microbial effects.  The result is an effective herbal canine toothpaste that cleans, provides nutritional and immune system support, prevents bleeding gums, and offers anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.

Holistic Dog Toothpaste Recipe For Healthy Teeth and Gums ©
Formulated by AllNaturalPetCare.com

1/4 cup Food-grade Calcium Montmorillonite Clay (Plaque removal, purifies, adds minerals, lowers acidity, soothes)
2 TBSP Thyme leaf powder (Anti-inflammatory and astringent)
2 TBSP Powdered seaweed/algae (Plaque removal, chlorophyll content, anti-bacterial, lowers acidity, adds minerals)
1/4 tsp Turmeric (Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, circulation, molecular prevention of plaque build-up)
1/2 cup Food-grade vegetable glycerin (not to be confused with synthetic glycerin or fuel byproduct glycerin)
3 Drops Myrrh Essential Oil (Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antiseptic, tannin astringent, white blood cell stimulant)
2 Drops Goldenseal Essential Oil (Anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, astringent, supports immunity) Should not be used for pregnant dogs.

Mix vegetable glycerin, myrrh and goldenseal together in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Use a fork or whisk to mix until well blended.
Store in an opaque, airtight container and keep cool.
Brush once or twice per day for about two minutes

Note: Sanguinarine from Bloodroot is sometimes recommended for homemade toothpaste, but it has been associated with leukoplakic lesions and we strongly recommend that it be avoided.

All Natural Pet Care Blog Comment - Dog ToothpasteDo you brush your dog’s teeth?  What kind of toothpaste do you use?  Please share your experiences in the comments below.

✔ You may also be interested in reading:
Easy Natural Homemade Toothpaste Recipe for Cats.
EEEWWW What’s That Smell? Dog Odor Causes and Natural Treatments

———————————————————-

© All Natural Pet Care BlogContent on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.

DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.

DISCLAIMER: Statements on this website may not have been evaluated by the FDA, Health Canada nor any other government regulator. The information and products provided by AllNaturalPetCare.com are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, nor prevent any disease and are intended for educational purposes only. READ MORE…

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.

50 Responses to “Holistic Dog Toothpaste Recipe For Healthy Teeth and Gums ©”

1. Carrie says:

Well he didn’t know what to think at first but he did tolerate the brushing and didn’t seem to mind the taste.

2. Hannah says:

I guess our dogs like it fine since they keep chewing the toothbrush lol

3. Cindy says:

Hi! I’m excited to try the toothpaste. I’ve prepared it and given a taste to my finicky dogs. Thought I’d give it to them as a treat at first. They did not like it. Any suggestions to make the paste more palatable? Thanks!

• Melody - Admin says:

Some dogs may object to the taste of turmeric, so you could try using less of that or eliminate it. If they like the taste of mint, a drop of peppermint oil is both helpful and safe. Otherwise, they may need to be trained to endure it by making the experience as pleasant as possible with lots of praise and a healthy treat when you’re done. Use the same tone you use when you do something they love like going for a walk, for example. Don’t worry about being thorough at first, every bit helps and you can gradually increase the length of the sessions. Good luck!

4. V says:

Is it possible to use this recipe for Cats aswell ?
    Im looking for a natural toothpaste for cats.

• Melody - Admin says:

Cats are very sensitive to essential oils so the recipe is formulated just for dogs. You could combine the clay & seaweed into a paste for cats. :-)

5. Jerry + Mia says:

I too left out the goldenseal until I can find it on sale somewhere but it’s still doing a fabulous job on my dog’s gum disease.

6. Chia says:

It’s working! There’s truly a difference in my dogs mouth, not only his teeth. Please keep posting this kind of valuable information because its truly appreciated.

7. Maxine says:

I was just devastated when I found out my 4 year old pup was in early gum disease. I’m going to try this toothpaste and brush every single day.

8. Trish says:

That recipe is amazing! My dog won’t have anything to do with any dog toothpaste I’ve tried but hopefully he allow this one.

9. Patsy-Lee says:

I just returned from a vet checkup and he loves this toothpaste recipe! He can’t believe the difference in my dog’s gums (he has gum disease). :-) Thank you so much for posting the recipe!

10. Kramer says:

It did take some time to get all the ingredients together but I’m here to tell you it’s worth it!

11. dan says:

truly appreciate this toothpaste recipe for my dog.

12. toothy grin says:

This toothpaste has noticeably improved my dog’s mouth as a whole and he doesn’t mind it too much. I hope you’ll post more recipes!

13. Brianna says:

I make my own toothpaste recipe for my family and I’m so happy to have one for the dog too. I can use some of the ingredients for the family toothpaste too.

14. Lester B. says:

Thanks! Now I can use toothpaste to bring something good into my dog’s diet instead of adding more chemicals like the toothpaste products do.

15. Annie says:

That’s a toothpaste recipe I can feel good about making for my dog!!

16. Tina w says:

We’ve always made homemade toothpaste for our dogs but I think I may add some of your recipe ideas.

17. Joan says:

My dog hates having his teeth brushed too but I hate vet bills more so I win! ;-)

18. Grammie says:

I love how this toothpaste recipe has other benefits for my dogs. Thanks so much for putting so much thought into your posts.

19. I’m a newly licensed holistic veterinarian and I have spent a lot of time collecting outstanding recipes like this one for use and recommendation in my practice. Dogs respond every bit as well as humans to natural therapies and they’ve been denied it for too long. Thank you for your time, effort and willingness to share your impressive knowledge.

20. Norma_G says:

Thanks, My dogs hated every toothpaste I tried until this natural recipe.

21. Mary Contrary says:

Don’t tell my dogs, but the ingredients have all arrived and we’ll be trying the toothpaste this weekend :-)

22. Fantastic blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.

23. Jody says:

WOW…..very impressive holistic toothpaste recipe that my dog is sure to benefit from….thank you!

24. Tally 2 says:

Thanks for posting this recipe for dogs, it’s a terrific toothpaste!

25. Elsa says:

That’s a good point Lizzy’s Puppies! Vets have to specialize in a lot of things! I brush my dog’s teeth every other day and I’m really glad that I can make my own natural dog toothpaste now instead of buying whatever-in-a-tube!

26. Lizzy's Puppies says:

I wonder why do humans have doctors & dentists but pets only have veterinarians to do both? Either way we should brush teeth in dogs & cats a few times every week.

27. Booboo Loon says:

hi,
    i am mickry,
    i have two dogs,so i want to get some information about teeth health,our dog teeth weekly,so give me good health suggestion for teeth health.
    Thanks

28. Flo says:

I had to wonder if it was worth tracking down the ingredients for this toothpaste but my dog’s mouth looks so much better already. Even his gums look more healthy and there’s no bleeding. Thanks for this post.

29. Catarina says:

Holy holistic batman! This dog toothpaste does a fabulous job!

30. Manna Man says:

I finally got all of the ingredients and tried the natural toothpaste out on my dogs last night……….they’ve never had their teeth brushed before and I was surprised at how easy it was…….they didn’t mind a bit.

31. Jayden M says:

Maybe it’s mind over matter but I believe my dogs teeth already look better because of this toothpaste.

32. Pit says:

This toothpaste recipe is the best!! I wish more people would put this much effort into something before they slap holistic on it.

33. Carey says:

HA HA HA You should have seen the look on my dogs face when I started brushing his teeth with this toothpaste! He didn’t quite know what to think of the taste but he let me finish.

34. Arleneritch says:

I have all but the goldenseal in my dog’s homemade toothpaste. I might add it to the next batch if I find it on sale somewhere. Thanks for the recipe! @

35. supra shoes says:

Thanks for sharing, I like this blog!

36. Selma says:

I brush my dogs teeth every week whether they like it or not and I will be making this toothpaste recipe.

37. Darlene says:

Talk about your pearly whites! Thank you!

38. Jo says:

Thank you for this therapeutic toothpaste recipe! You and my dogs will be keeping me busy this weekend!

39. Karen Peterson says:

This toothpaste mixes up well and my dog likes the taste.

40. Cole says:

This is the first recipe I’ve ever made for me dog. His teeth already look better thanks.

41. Lawrence says:

Great toothpaste, now I just have to convince my dog to allow a toothbrush into his mouth.

42. admin says:

I hope everyone will send us pictures of their smiling dogs :-D

43. Carrie says:

I’m looking forward to trying this recipe! My Sheltie has had “stinky breath” lately, so I found this just in time. Thanks!

44. Karen says:

Thanks for posting yet another useful item!!

45. Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out.

46. Becker says:

This is a great recipe for dog toothpaste, it covers all bases.

47. SusanT says:

I have some ingredients ordered and can’t wait to make this recipe. It looks real beneficial and I like knowing what’s in it instead of buying dog toothpaste.